In 2019, the Mediterranean Diet was ranked number one in Best Diets Overall by U.S. News and World Reports. While this comfort food classic can fall short of being “healthy”, this version only has just over 200 calories per serving!
Makes: 4 servings
INGREDIENTS (Key: T = Tablespoon, t = teaspoon, oz = ounce)
- 8 oz lean ground beef
- 4 oz low‐fat bulk breakfast sausage
- 1 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup plain dry bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup fat‐free, low‐sodium spaghetti sauce
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- Whites of 2 large eggs
- 2 t dried basil, crumbled
- 1 t dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/3 cup fat‐free low‐sodium spaghetti sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients except 1/3 cup spaghetti sauce. (Your hands work well for this.)
- On a nonstick baking sheet, shape the beef mixture into a 9 x 5‐inch oval loaf. Top with the remaining 1/3 cup of spaghetti sauce.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until the loaf reaches an internal temperature of 160°F and is no longer pink in the center. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
NUTRITION INFORMATION (for each serving)
Fat: 7.5 grams
Saturated fat: 2.5 grams
Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5 grams
Monounsaturated Fat: 2.5 grams
Cholesterol: 46 milligrams
Total Carbohydrates: 14 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Sugars: 4 grams
Sodium: 345 milligrams
Protein: 19 grams
America Heart Association. “Mediterranean Meat Loaf.” The New American Heart Association Cookbook. 7th ed. New York: Clarkson Potter/Publishers, 2004. 307. Print.