Slow Cooker Shawarma
It’s time to dust off that slow cooker because this is the recipe for you! The slow cooker is an excellent piece of kitchen equipment to ensure a healthy dinner is on the table ASAP. This recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Shawarma is delicious, easy, and healthy. Pair this recipe with whole wheat pita bread and a side salad. Or try making a healthy bowl version by using cauliflower rice as your base. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Shawarma
Makes: 10 Servings
INGREDIENTS (Key: T = Tablespoon, t = teaspoon, oz = ounce)
1 T allspice
2 t oregano
1 ½ t garlic powder
1 t cinnamon
1 cup plain non‐fat Greek yogurt
½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 2 large lemons)
2 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
For Serving: whole wheat pita bread, thinly sliced red onion, diced tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, hummus or tzatziki sauce
- In a small bowl, stir together the allspice, oregano, garlic powder, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Place the yogurt and lemon juice in the bottom of a shallow baking dish. Add half of the spice mixture (reserve the second half) and stir to combine. Add the chicken thighs and gently turn to coat in the yogurt mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Coat the bottom of a slow cooker with cooking spray. Add the chicken and all the yogurt marinade.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours, until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
- With a fork or slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a large bowl (discard the cooking liquid). Shred the chicken with two forks, then sprinkle the remaining spice mixture over top. Stir to coat with the reserved spices.
- Serve the chicken inside pita bread and add any desired toppings (tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, etc.)
NUTRITION INFORMATION (for each serving)
Fat: 12 grams
Saturated fat: 3 grams
Cholesterol: 109 milligrams
Total Carbohydrates: 3 grams
Fiber: 0 grams
Sodium: 109 milligrams
Protein: 32 grams
FROM “Slow Cooker Yogurt Chicken Shawarma.” Wellplated. Available at: https://www.wellplated.com/slow-cooker-yogurt-chicken-shawarma/. Accessed May 13, 2019.