Quick & Healthy Summer Side Dish
Are you looking for an easy, delicious, and healthy side dish to pair with your next summer meal? Well then this recipe meets all of the criteria! “Golden Lemon‐Crumb Tomatoes” is the perfect low calorie, low‐carbohydrate side dish that incorporates tomatoes, herbs, low‐fat cheese, and fresh lemon juice. It will pair well with chicken, fish, pasta, or really any entrée! You certainly can’t go wrong with this recipe, especially now that tomatoes are in season. Enjoy!
Golden Lemon‐Crumb Tomatoes
Makes: 4 Servings
INGREDIENTS (Key: T = Tablespoon, t = teaspoon, oz = ounce)
½ cup plain fresh soft bread crumbs
2 T chopped fresh parsley
½ t dried basil, crumbled
½ t grated lemon zest
2 oz low‐fat feta cheese, crumbled
2 large tomatoes, halved crosswise
1 ½ T fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, stir together the bread crumbs, parsley, basil, and lemon zest. Toss gently.
- Add the feta. Toss gently.
- To assemble, lightly spray a 9‐inch pie pan with cooking spray. Place the tomato halves in the pie pan. Spoon the lemon juice over the halves. Top the tomatoes with the breadcrumb mixture. Liberally spray with cooking spray.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the tomatoes are tender when pierced with a fork and beginning to slightly brown.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
NUTRITION INFORMATION (for each serving)
Fat: 0.5 grams
Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Total Carbohydrates: 9 grams
Fiber: 1 gram
Sodium: 270 milligrams
Protein: 4 grams
“Golden Lemon‐Crumb Tomatoes” The New American Heart Association Cookbook. 7th edition. 2004. Page 472.